Greece’s World Heritage -Pilgrimage Tourism – Arcadian Monasteries

03_complex

Seleni Suites Boutique Hotel at Vytina of Arcadia has been built according to monasterial architecture

The monasteries and churches of Arcadia, in addition to being religious destinations, are also cradles of civilization, where devotional art reaches its apogee with outstanding samples of architecture, icon painting (hagiography), wood carving, etc. Famous monasteries in the region, the most famous after the ones on Mount Athos. Tourists are attracted to visit not only because of religious faith but also for their architectural and historical aspects. Τhe Greek Ministry of Culture must officially promote the national identity by bringing forward world-renowned sites, Greece’s heritage assets.

MoniPhilosophou

Monastery of Philosophos

The new Monastery of Philosophos, which was built in order to replace the earlier, Byzantine one, lies in the western part of the Lousios gorge and was founded at the middle of the 17th century. The catholicon (main church) is a cross-in-square domed church of the composite, four-column type, with plain facades and poor brickwork decoration. The wall paintings inside the church are dated to 1663 and are the work of Victor, a representative of the Cretan School. The church also has an impressive wooden-carved iconostasis. The new catholicon was built by the monks of the new monastery and was painted at the expense of Mavraidis Pasha from Stemnitsa. From the mid-17th to the mid-18th century the new monastery housed the school of the Gortyn clergy which was attended by important people of the Church (e.g. Patriarch Gregory V). Between 1834 and 1836 the monastery was abolished with the decision of the Bavarian regency, its property was confiscated and sold to individuals. Today, the monastery is used as a convent for monks, and is a department of the Monastery of Timios Prodromos(St. John the Forerunner) at Stemnitsa. Many religious buildings have been located in the gorge of Lousios, including churches, monasteries, hermitages as well as secular buildings such as water-mills, gunpowder-mills, tobacco-mills etc. Some of the most important religious buildings are the Old Monastery of Panaghia (Our Lady) Philosophou, built in the 10th century, the Monastery of Timios Prodromos, dated to the end of the 16th century, the Monastery of Aimyales, the old and new monastery of Atsicholos and St. Andrew at Gortyna

αγία θεοδώρα

Saint Theodora

The story of Saint Theodora is breathtaking and, in many ways, similar to that of Joan of Arc (aka Jeanne d’Arc).During the Byzantine era, at the time of the Saint’s life, each family had to contribute one man to the army or alternatively hire a mercenary to represent it. Theodora’s family was poor and had no male representatives, so Theodora masqueraded as a man and joined the army!At first, the “young soldier” was distinguished for “his” virtue, until a young girl fell madly in love with “him”. Because Theodora did not reciprocate the love, the girl reported her to the senior officers and claimed that Theodora molested her and left her pregnant…So, Theodora was sentenced to death. Shortly before she died, she whispered a prayer: “may my body turn into a temple, my blood into water and my hair into trees”. And so it happened…!In the place where Theodora drew her last breath there is now a small chapel, on top of which are seventeen towering oak trees. The roots of the trees are not very visible either on the ceiling or on the side walls. Also, under the church there is plenty of fresh running water leading to a river.the Church of Theodora of Vasta and the Monastery of Malevi.

μαλεβή

Monastery of Malevi

Construction of this spectacular monastery, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, began in the 7th century AD.Here we experience a deep feeling of devoutness as we gaze upon the Icon of the Virgin Mary, hand-painted by Luke the Evangelist. The Monastery of Malevi is one of the oldest monasteries in the region of Parnonos Mountain. Because the honor and veneration of the Theotokos was especially important for the monastics, many of the monasteries were founded in memory of the Birth of the Theotokos, her Dormition, or others to her honor.

κερνιτσα

Dormition of the Virgin Mary at Kernitsa

is located 3km from Nymphassia, one of the oldest monasteries of Gortynia. The monastery’s catholic is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (with an icon of the Virgin Mary found inside the rock).

κανδήλα

Monastery of Kandila

is located in the northeast extremities of Arcadia, 38 kilometres from Tripoli and 15 kilometres from Levidi. Perched inside a cave on a majestic rock, the monastery dominates the site of ancient Orchomenos. Before it lies the plain of Kandila and Levidi, which stretches westward and to the northern foothills of Mount Mainalo.The rock rises in the serene landscape of the so-called ‘Argon (Barren) Field’, inside the narrow valley of Orchomenos, between Mount Oligyrtos and Mount Trachy. The ancient Arcadians named this part of the valley ‘Argon Field’ because it was impossible to cultivate, since rainwater gathered here in winter months turning the plain into a lake. The mountains north of Kandila provide a single narrow pass making this one of the better-protected entries into Arcadia since antiquity.

καλτεζές

Monastery of St Nickolas Kaltezon

is located in southern Arcadia, thirty kilometres from Tripoli, eleven kilometres from Kato Asea, and 2.5 kilometres from the village of Kaltezes, which means ‘wells’ in Slavic. The village lies 680 metres above sea level, near the ruins of an ancient city, the so-called Paliochora, which include ancient fortifications and a medieval settlement around the fortress of Saint George (Fortress of Paliochora), with houses, sanctuaries, and other installations. East of the village, the toponym Tis Elenis to Pigadi (Eleni’s Well) suggests that the Eleneia beauty contest took place there in antiquity.The monastery was built on a small plateau of strategic military importance. Founded in the late eighteenth century, it has been operating as a nunnery under the Metropolis of Mantineia and Kynouria since 1920 and still hosts four nuns.

βλαχέρνα

Eleousa monastery

Now situated between Levidi and Vytina in Mantineia, 940 metres above sea level, the village of Bezeniko (modern Vlacherna) has changed location several times in the past. According to tradition, the village was originally built below the Eleousa monastery, near the site of Spilia (or Metochi), where the remains of houses and a square building dubbed Agiorgis (Saint George) by the locals are still visible. Traces of settlements are also preserved at the sites of Vardaioi and Livadi, where local tradition places the farmstead of a Turkish notable and several events of the Greek War of Independence. An old Slavic toponym, Bezeniko was later replaced by Vlacherna. The majestic scenery created by the slopes of Mount Mainalo on the west and the plain of Orchomenos on the east is the setting for two monasteries, Panagia Eleousa and Vlacherna. The Panagia Eleousa monastery is located south of the village, below the Bezeniko Castle. The Vlacherna monastery is located northeast of the village, atop Mount Kastania (possibly ancient Mount Knakalos).Tucked away in a fold of Mount Mainalo, surrounded by pine trees and almost invisible, the rock monastery of Panagia Eleousa was a refuge in difficult times, particularly during the Greek War of Independence and Ibrahim Pasha’a appearance in the Peloponnese (1826). A footpath, which began at the village and followed the Arapissa gorge, led after a 45-minute walk to the monastery’s first steps. Today, a dirt road has replaced the footpath making it possible to reach the monastery by car.On the way up to the monastery, near the modern monument of local hero Alexis Nikolaou or Levidiotis, the derelict church of Panagia Kataphygiotissa stands inside an impressive cave. This single-nave church follows the cave’s contours. Its walls are partially preserved, and traces of wall paintings are visible in situ. Little is known of its foundation. With the help of the locals, the parish priest tends to the small church and occasionally holds services.

Unknown-2

St. Fotini

Near the city of  Tripoli, almost next to ancient Mantinea, the visitor encounters an original church, that of St. Fotini. The architecture and its materials, make this church unique as it blends elements of ancient Greek culture and Byzantine art. The building is a live example of the transition from the Twelve Gods of Ancient Greeks to Christianity. The church was completed in 1978 and over the years has become one of the most famous sights of the area.

Μοναστήρι Φιλοσόφου

Νότια της Δημητσάνας σε κοίλωμα βράχου της χαράδραςπου διαρρέει ο Λούσιος ποταμός βρίσκεται ερειπωμένη μια από τις αρχαιότερες και ιστορικότερες μονές της Ελλάδας, η παλιά Μονή της Παναγίας  Φιλοσόφου . Είναι κτίσμα του 963 μ.Χ. και ιδρύθηκε από τον Ιωάννη Λαμπαρδόπουλο – Φιλόσοφο και Πρωτοκρίτη του Νικηφόρου Φωκά. Είχε χαρακτηριστεί σταυροπηγιακή. Σήμερα διατηρείται αυτό το μικρό εκκλησάκι της Βυζαντινής τεχνοτροπίας του 10ου αιώνα με τις τοιχογραφίες του.Κοντά στα ερείπια της παλιάς μονής βρίσκεται η Νέα Μονή Φιλοσόφου που υπήρχε προ του 1691. Σώζεται μόνο η εκκλησία της βυζαντινής τεχνοτροπίας με πλούσια εικονογράφηση. Στη μονόπορη, έτσι λέγεται η περιοχή της παλιάς μονής,  και σε όλο το νότιο μήκος της χαράδρας του Λουσίου υπήρχαν σπηλιές και σειρά ασκηταριών που καταστράφηκαν από τις επιδρομές των Σλάβων τον 7ο και 8ο αιώνα. Η περιοχή  αναδείχτηκε σαν κέντρο παιδείας και πνευματικής καλλιέργειας την περίοδο της τουρκοκρατίας όπου λειτουργούσε  Κρυφό Σχολειό. Εβδομήντα (70) αρχιερείς και επτά (7) Πατριάρχες μαθήτευσαν στο “Κρυφό Σχολειό” της Δημητσάνας.

Μονή Τιμίου Προδρόμου

Πάνω από την αριστερή όχθη του ποταμού Λούσιου, στη βάση ενός ψηλού και άγριου βράχου και σχεδόν απέναντι από τη Μονή Φιλοσόφου, δεσπόζει το ιστορικό μοναστήρι του Τιμίου Προδρόμου. Χτίστηκε το 16ο αιώνα  και είναι σήμερα από τις μεγαλύτερες και ιστορικότερες μονές της Πελοποννήσου. Είναι ανδρική μονή και έχει τους περισσότερους μοναχούς σε σχέση με τις άλλες μονές της Αρκαδίας. Κατά την παράδοση, η ιδρυσή της ανάγεται στα μέσα του 12ου αιώνα (1167).Το Καθολικό της είναι κτισμένο στην κοιλότητα του βράχου, έχει σχήμα θολωτής Βασιλικής και εξωτερικά φέρει αγιογραφίες. Παλαιότερα πρέπει στο σημείο αυτό να υπήρχε ασκητήριο. Οι τοιχογραφίες του, παρά τις φθορές, είναι αξιόλογες και σύμφωνα με τον Φώτη Κόντογλου ανάγονται στον 16ο αιώνα και ανήκουν στην κρητική σχολή. Μάλιστα θεωρούνται ότι ανήκουν στο Θεοφάνη τον Κρητικό και το Μόσχο. Η Μονή διαθέτει αξιόλογη βιβλιοθήκη με σημαντικά θεολογικά και φιλοσοφικά βιβλία. Στο Ηγουμενείο και στο Αρχονταρίκι υπάρχουν παλιές φωτογραφίες, εκκλησιαστικά πρόσωπα και γράμματα του Κολοκοτρώνη.

Μονή Μαλεβής

Σε απόσταση  44 χλμ. από την Τρίπολη και 5 χλμ. από τον Άγιο Πέτρο, στο δρόμο προς Άστρος  βρίσκεται η γυναικεία Μονή της Παναγίας Μαλεβής. Είναι  η πιο φημισμένη μονή της Κυνουρίας και προσελκύει μεγάλο αριθμό προσκηνητών. Χτισμένη στις πλαγιές του <atarget=”_blank” href=”http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/arkadia/places/parnon.htm”>Πάρνωνα και σε υψόμετρο 950 μ. περιβάλλεται από δάσος της σπάνιας και προστατευμένης ποικιλίας του δενδρόκεδρου.Η πρώτη μονή χτίστηκε το 14ο αιώνα. Η πρώτη αναφορά στη Μονή είναι το 1320 σε χρυσόβουλο του αυτοκράτορα Ανδρόνικου Παλαιολόγου. Η Μονή τότε βρισκόταν στη θέση Πουρνάρια λίγο πιο πάνω από τη θέση της σημερινής Μονής. Η μονή στη σημερινή της θέση χτίστηκε το 1616 και είχε σημαντική προσφορά στον αγώνα του 1821. Πέντε χιλ. από τον Άγιο Πέτρο, στο δρόμο που οδηγεί στο Άστρος, είναι το μοναστήρι της Παναγίας της Μαλεβής.

Μονή Κερνίτσας

Λίγο πριν τη Βυτίνα στρίβοντας για το χωριό Νυμφασία, λίγο πιο κάτω, ορθώνεται μεγαλόπρεπη η Ιερά Μονή Κερνίτσας. Θα μπορούσε να πει κανείς, πως, το συγκεκριμένο Μοναστήρι, έχει φυτρώσει μέσα στο πράσινο, αφού, όπου κι αν στρέψεις το βλέμμα σου, συναντάς πυκνή βλάστηση! Η Μονή πήρε την ονομασία της από τη Μεσαιωνική πόλη, Κερνίτσα, που βρισκόταν Νοτιοδυτικά του Μοναστηριού στην οροσειρά του Αργυρόκαστρου, βορειοδυτικά της Βυτίνας. Το Μοναστήρι “ζει” περίπου 10 αιώνες και θεωρείται το αρχαιότερο της Αρκαδίας και από τα πιο παλιά της Ελλάδας. Σύμφωνα με τη γραπτή παράδοση, κτήτορες της Μονής ήταν οι Πετζοκολαίοι που κατάγονταν από την Κερνίτσα. Από το 1680 και μετά, στο Μοναστήρι λειτούργησε Κρυφό Σχολειό· είχε κατώτερο σχολείο, μέση και ανώτερη Σχολή.

Μονή της Κανδήλας

Σφηνωμένη μέσα στη σπηλιά ενός αγέρωχου βράχου, η Μονή της Κανδήλας δεσπόζει μεγαλόπρεπη πάνω από την πανάρχαιη μνήμη του Ορχομενού. Μπροστά της απλώνεται η πεδιάδα της Κανδήλας και του Λεβιδίου ως τη δύση και τις βορινές προεκτάσεις του Μαινάλου. Η Κανδήλα βρίσκεται στο βορειοανατολικό άκρο της Αρκαδίας, απέχοντας38 χλμ.από την Τρίπολη και15 χλμ.από το Λεβίδι.

Το εκκλησάκι της Αγίας Θεοδώρας

Το εκκλησάκι της Αγίας Θεοδώρας βρίσκεται κοντά στο χωριό Βάστα της Μεγαλόπολης. Είναι κτίσμα πιθανόν του 12ου αιώνα.Η παράδοση αναφέρει πως  το θαύμα της Φύσης  έχει σχέση  με το μαρτύριο της Αγίας. Ποιο όμως είναι το θαύμα της φύσης: Ένα μικρό εκκλησάκι που το αγκαλιάζουν δεκαεπτά (17) δέντρα. Τα κλαδιά τους ξεφυτρώνουν από τη σκεπή ενώ οι ρίζες τους, που δε φαίνονται, περνούν μέσα από τους τοίχους του για να καταλήξουν στο έδαφος.  Είναι βέβαιο πως αν ανθρώπινος παράγοντας παρέμβει για να κόψει τα δέντρα ή να βελτιώσει κάτι στο εκκλησάκι,  το κτίσμα θα καταστραφεί. Το άφθονο νερό που τρέχει στο ποταμάκι κάτω από την εκκλησία ποτίζει τα δέντρα. Και τα δυο μαζί, ποτάμι και δέντρα, είναι η ευχή της Αγίας Θεοδώρας που όπως λέγεται παρακάλεσε στην προσευχή της λίγο πριν μαρτυρήσει “τα μαλλιά μου  να γίνουν δέντρα και το αίμα μου  ποτάμι για να τα ποτίζει.Γιορτάζει στις 11 Σεπτεμβρίου κάθε χρόνο. Χιλιάδες προσκυνητές επισκέπτονται το εκκλησάκι για να προσκυνήσουν και να θαυμάσουν αυτό το μοναδικό σύμπλεγμα.

Μονή του Αγ. Νικολάου Καλτεζών

Στα σύνορα των νομών Αρκαδίας και Λακωνίας βρίσκεται η μονή του Αγ. Νικολάου Καλτεζών, που απέχει 31 χλμ. από την Τρίπολη (Χάρτης Ζ5).  Το 1696 με ανασκαφές που έγιναν ύστερα από φανέρωση του Θεού στον Ηλ. Λυρώνη, βρέθηκε στην τοποθεσία, που είναι κτισμένη η Μονή, μια θαυματουργική εικόνα του Αγ. Νικολάου. Ο Ηλίας Λυρώνης έγινε μοναχός με το όνομα Ανανίας και με ζήλο και αυταπάρνηση οργάνωσε σιγά-σιγά ένα κανονικό μοναστήρι. Αντιμετώπισε πολλές λεηλασίες από τους Τούρκους αλλά ο Αγ. Νικόλαος πάντα βοηθούσε, όπως τότε, που ένας Τούρκος αγάς πήγαινε με τη συνοδεία του να λεηλατήσει για δεύτερη φορά τη Μονή. Μετά από προσευχή του Ανανία ο αγάς δεν μπορούσε να κινηθεί, σαν να τον κρατούσαν αλυσίδες και η μορφή του Αγίου παρουσιάστηκε μέσα από μία φλόγα και διέταξε τον αγά να απομακρυνθεί. Έκτοτε ο αγάς βοηθούσε οικονομικά πάντα τη Μονή. Κατά την επανάσταση του 1821 στο μοναστήρι υπήρχαν αποθήκες πυρομαχικών αλλά και κρυφό σχολειό. Ο Κολοκοτρώνης πολλές φορές είχε βρει καταφύγιο και μία φορά σώθηκε από βέβαιο θάνατο μετά από προσευχή του στον Άγιο όταν τον περίμεναν Τούρκοι στην είσοδο της Μονής για να τον σκοτώσουν.

Μοναστήρι της Παναγιάς της Βλαχέρνας
Το ιστορικό βυζαντινό μοναστήρι της Παναγιάς της Βλαχέρνας, βρίσκεται στην Κάτω Παναγιά, 2,5 χλμ νοτιανατολικά της Κυλλήνης σε υψόμετρο μόλις 80 μέτρων και έχει πάρει το όνομα της από την ομώνυμη Μονή στην Κωνσταντινούπολη. Η ονομασία Βλαχέρνα, προέρχεται από την περίφημη συνοικία της Πόλης όπου πραγματοποιούνταν επίσημες θρησκευτικές τελετές των ανακτόρων στη βυζαντινή εποχή.
Πρόκειται για παλαιότατη Μονή με σπουδαία ιστορία. Είναι άγνωστο πότε ακριβώς ιδρύθηκε, όμως το καθολικό της φέρει υλικό από άλλο παλαιοχριστιανικό ναό και είναι αφιερωμένο στο Γενέσιο της Θεοτόκου. Πιθανολογείται ότι ιδρύθηκε πριν τον 9ο αιώνα. Κατά την περίοδο της Φραγκοκρατίας κυριεύτηκε από Φράγκους και στην πορεία των χρόνων «άλλαξε» πολλούς κατακτητές και δέχτηκε αρκετές επιδρομές με ολέθρια αποτελέσματα.
Αγία Φωτεινή
Κοντά στην Τρίπολη, δίπλα σχεδόν από την αρχαία Μαντινεία, ο επισκέπτης έρχεται αντιμέτωπος με έναν πρωτότυπο ναό, αυτόν της Αγίας Φωτεινής. Η αρχιτεκτονική του ναού, καθώς και τα υλικά κατασκευής του, τον κάνουν μοναδικό καθώς φέρει στοιχεία του αρχαίου ελληνικού πολιτισμού συνδυασμένα με την βυζαντινή τέχνη. Το ίδιο το κτίσμα είναι σα να μας μιλά από μόνο του για τη μετάβαση από το δωδεκάθεο των Αρχαίων Ελλήνων στο Χριστιανισμό. Ο ναός ολοκληρώθηκε το 1978 και με τα χρόνια έχει γίνει ένα από τα πιο γνωστά αξιοθέατα της περιοχής.
 Source/Πηγή : http://www.hotelvager.gr/monastiria_arkadia/